Meaning of 어야 되다 with 이다
I am quite confused with the precise meaning of 어야 되다/하다 with the copula 이다. I know that 어야 되다/하다 means an obligation or that a certain condition has to be met. But consider the following examples: 축구 정말 잘 하니까 선수여야 돼요. How should I understand this example? Basically, it means "You play soccer so well that you must be a professional player." I see two possible meanings: You play so well that you must become a professional player. You play so well so that I guess you are a professional player (you cannot not be a professional player). Similar example: 너는 너무나 아름다우니까 모델이어야 돼요. Meaning: You are so pretty that you ought to become a model. You are so pretty that I am certain that you are a model. Which interpretation is the correct one ? (and, as a bonus question, how would I express the other meaning in Korean?)
In Korean, “-해야 되다/하다” can only mean an obligation, that is, “it is required that you do X”.
So, “선수여야 돼요” can only mean “it is required that [someone] is a professional player.” For example, I think the following is acceptable:
축구를 정말 잘 하는 사람이 필요하니까 선수여야 돼요.
= We need someone who’s really good at soccer, so it must be a professional player (not just anyone).
To mean “from the evidences, I must conclude that [someone] is a professional player”, you can use constructions like:
축구를 정말 잘 하는 걸 보니 선수인 것이 틀림없다/분명하다.
(or) 축구를 정말 잘 하는 걸 보니 분명히 선수다.
= Since he’s so good at soccer (literally, “After seeing that he’s so good at soccer”), he must be a professional player.
Similarly, the second example can be:
이렇게 아름다우시다니 (모델인/모델이신) 게 틀림없습니다.
Or slightly more conversational (and rather cheesy):
이렇게 아름다우시다니 모델이시죠?
- There’s no reason to add “너/당신” unless it’s ambiguous.
- “너무” is either “very” or (traditionally) “too much”. I think it’s possible to use “너무” here, but the word is overused, and “이렇게” sounds more natural, because you’re describing something right in front of your eyes.
- “-하다니” means something like “since (I can see / I just realized) X”
- Database Administration Tutorials
- Programming Tutorials & IT News
- Linux & DevOps World
- Ebook Reviews
- PES Matches, Skills & News